Friday, May 17, 2013

May Monster Madness Day #7


Hiya Monsters!
I'm super excited to be taking part in the May Monster Madness hosted by the monsteriffic Author Annie Walls, Emma from Little Gothic Horrors and Ked from Something Wicked this Way Comes!

- The One With The Plug -

Well, fellow Monsters it seems all good things must come to an end! I loved hopping all around the blogosphere this week and reading your monsterrific posts. I found some really great blogs that I'll be back to a visitin' once all this madness ends and I hope you'll all drop by here and say howdy!

Today's post is little more than a bit of shameless self promotion - WAIT, DON'T GO! *puts on grotesquely cute puppy dog eyes* YOU'RE MY ONLY FRIEND! - but there is something in it for you too!
I'm going to be giving away 5 e-copies of FEAR: A Modern Anthology of Horror and Terror Volume 1!
All you have to do is enter into the rafflecopter for your chance to win!
HOORAY!
But first a little on the Anthology:

FEAR: A Modern Anthology of Horror and Terror brings together, for the first time, tales of murder, monsters and madness, by sixty of the world’s best indie horror authors. 

Discover what lurks in the water at the end of the garden, learn of the unforgiving loyalty of a loving toy and meet a writer, just itching to finish his latest horror story.

Every author in the Anthology has generously contributed their work for free. All royalties from sales will go directly to the international charities, Barnardo’s and Médecins Sans Frontières.


FEAR, with forewords by international bestselling authors, Peter James and Sherri Browning Erwin, is now available in two volumes.




Here's the synopsis for my contribution to FEAR, What Goes Around:






What Goes Around

Emmy has spent the last two years living like a caged animal. In her prison cell she counts down the hours until her next shower, her next meal, and how many hours until her boyfriend, turned jailer, returns home.

Until one day, he doesn't.

Emmy must devise a way to break out. But the world outside her cell is changing. Will she be prepared for what she finds on the outside?



#1


I know this is another one of his games, and today I’m too tired to play along. Aiden isn’t happy that I’m not grovelling at his feet. He likes me on my knees, and today I refuse to go there.

He yanks open the door, fresh air pools through from the staircase, but it doesn’t reach me here on the bed, and I will not breathe the same air as Aiden unless I’m forced to.

“I’m going out tonight,” he says abruptly. “I’ll be back in the morning for breakfast.”

He slams the door and slides the bolts home.

Four separate keys.

Four separate deadlocks.

Four more reasons why I’ll never escape this room.

Here’s what you need to know about my life: One, Aiden was never this insane when we met. Two, once upon a time we were in love.

Three, the day I said I was leaving him, he locked me in the basement and I’ve been down here ever since.



#2



I can hear them pressing up against the door, rasping moans 
and hisses through rotten vocal chords, fingernails clawing at the wood. 
It won’t be long before the door gives, or before the windows shatter beneath their weight.



***


Funny story about What Goes Around, in a way this short was written on a dare. I had seen Crooked Cat's call for submissions on facebook and thought, maybe I should push myself? Maybe working on the one novel for the last three years has turned me into a lazy, uninspired, mildly insane, worrywart who needs a good kick up the hiney in order to get her writing career off the ground? To which that lazy, uninspired, mildly insane voice inside my head replied, "Shut the hell up, lady! We've got enough to do!"
-Just a side note here, yes, I do frequently talk to the voices in my head. And yes, I am aware of how frightening that makes me sound. Feel free to slowly back away from your computer, now.

Fast forward two days and I'd been tearing my hair out with the stress of coming up with something to write - another side note, on an ordinary day I write, live and breathe Young Adult Fiction. A genre where there's not a whole lot of room for horror and you can only get away with swearing if you're willing to rant, scream and rave at your publisher, hence trying to think up the perfect adult story for my perfect teenage mindset - when I'd decided all bets were off. I wasn't going to write the story and I'd more than likely end up straight-jacketed and rocking back and forth in a corner of the psych ward, talking to the voices in my head.

But then I couldn't stop thinking about it, night and day the idea of this anthology consumed me. The Crooked Cat had more or less dared me to submit a story, right there on the facebook page! And, kids, when the only cat in publishing dares you to write a short story for a charity anthology with sixty of the worlds best Indie Horror writers, you damn well take up that challenge.

So that's the long, boring, and only mildly manic tale of how What Goes Around was created. If you enjoyed reading these snippets then    
you can purchase your copies of FEAR


Volume 1 here   and  Volume 2 here!


100% of the royalties from FEAR go to charities Barnardo's and MSF, so it's spooking for a good cause!

Or enter into the giveaway for your chance to win one of 5 - e-copies here:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

I'd love to hear what you thought of the excerpt!
Leave me a comment below . . . if you're brave enough!
Mwhahahahahahaha!



Be sure to visit the other May Monster Madness Hops along the way:


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very interesting book and a very intriguing story.
    Tasha's Thinkings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of your contribution sounds extra terror-licious. "What Goes Around," I can see a boomerang circling and chopping someone's head off ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Will be added to my to be read list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thoroughly enjoyed all your posts during May Monster Madness. Glad to have discovered your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete