Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May Monster Madness Day #4


Hiya Monsters!
I'm super excited to be taking part in the May Monster Madness hosted by the monsteriffic Author Annie Walls, Emma from Little Gothic Horrors and Ked from Something Wicked this Way Comes!
May Monster Madness is all about sharing the monsters we love and what better way for an author to do that than to purge the monsters that take up residence in our brain and demand to be written?
This week I'll (hopefully) be posting a few shorts and bits and pieces from the monster madness in my head, so stay tuned for more of my psychotic babbling!

OK, so I won't be posting any stories today.
Geez, people I'm not a machine! ;)
But I thought I might post about the things that inspire me when I do write.

The hills are alive with the sound of . . . Terror . . .

- Music -


Like most authors, I have playlist upon playlist cluttering up my ipod. Every story I write has a soundtrack, and with some of my books -the ones I've been working on for far too long- have whole soundtracks for each individual scene or character arc.
  I know what you're thinking, if I spent even half the time writing that I do organising my playlists, I'd have books for sale already! But I'm inherently lazy, very easily distracted and kinda OCD about doing THIS RIGHT NOW!!!! For the record "this" could be anything from writing a book to baking cupcakes or scouring the internet for discontinued and therefore IMPOSSIBLE to find MAC lipstick. 
Music plays such an integral part in creating emotion, especially fear! Don't believe me? Watch your favourite scary movie without the sound and then see whether it has the same effect.
I tend to look at it like this:
If I'm not remotely nervy while I'm writing a horror piece, chances are my readers aren't going to be either.
Here are some of my favourite monsteriffic tunes to listen to while I write:


I Am Home by Massive Attack on Grooveshark

I am Home from the Danny the Dog Soundtrack by Massive Attack
This song brilliant for anything zombie related, in fact I wrote my entire story, What Goes Around, for the FEAR Anthology to this song. Sure it doesn't sound like much when you first begin listening, but pop some headphones in after dark when the house is quiet and the Zombocalypse is instantly upon you.

   
Bedroom Hymns by Florence and the Machine on Grooveshark
Bedroom Hymns by Florence and the Machine 
Flo and the Mo make up a good portion of all of my playlists, but even though this song is not particularly as monsterrific as some of her other songs, HOWL I'm looking at you, there's something about the beat that makes my fingers fly across the keys whenever I hear it. Which makes it one of my go to tracks when I'm writing some kinda action packed scene.


Hurt by Johnny Cash on Grooveshark
Hurt by Nine Inch Nails, performed by Johnny Cash 
The ultimate song in self loathing! Again, this song makes it onto quite a few of my playlists,  for me this version exudes the kind of vulnerability that the original was missing. It's all about revealing the monster inside of us. Also, every time I hear it I'm instantly transported inside a man wandering through a post apocalyptic world alone. Perhaps a story I haven't written yet?


Disolved By The Water All These Years (Cover Me) by Wax Audio on Grooveshark
Dissolved By The Water All These Years
Cover mash up by Wax Audio - featuring PJ Harvey, Bjork, Tori Amos & Massive Attack 
Nothing quite says Monster Madness like these four incredible music talents combined! It's haunting, creepy and freaking awesome! I love this song!


Breakout by Ash Grunwald on Grooveshark
Breakout by Ash Grundwald
Try listening to this song and tell me you don't think of the Zombocalypse!
Uh huh, that's what I thought! 


Be sure to visit the other May Monster Madness Hops along the way:


4 comments:

  1. I'm a huge music lover and these are all great. I had to look up a few and instantly love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool collection of top tunes... although I am a bigger fan of the original Hurt (love Mr Cash). Cheers Carmen.

    Shah X

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete