Friday, September 28, 2012

Feature and Follow #2



Feature & Follow is a blog hop hosted by Parajunkee & Alison Can Read.
The purpose is to meet new people and gain more followers in the book blogging community.



Q: What is the Biggest word you've seen used in a book lately -  that made you stop and look it up?


I'm an author, so therefore I know

EVERYTHING!

I'm completely kidding, of course!
But this question really stumped me, and I honestly can't remember a time I had to put a book down to go look up a word, much less remembering now what that word was, so continuing on my "lost in translation" answers that I started over at Book Me!
Here's a list of words that confuse the Aussie in me when I'm reading a book from the U.S.

* Wifebeater  (do you guys still call it that? Or is that just something I picked up from The OC?) anyway, to us, that's a singlet.
*Candy! In Aus we call that Lollies.
*Jell-O, we call that Jelly. And the sticky stuff that we put on our toast? That's Jam. I think (correct me if I'm wrong. I'm often wrong!) you guys call that Jelly?
*Prom, this one doesn't really confuse me, but I thought I should point out that we call it a formal, which I thing is probably the weirder of the two.
* And for the love of all things holy, won't someone please tell me what an Ice-cream social is?

I imagine it to look a little like this:



Colour me confused!

What's your FF this week?
Don't forget to get Commenty-with-it below!


14 comments:

  1. For some reason, your answer made me laugh :) And an ice cream social is when an event that wouldn't necessarily gather a crowd uses ice cream to get people come LOL.

    New follower!

    http://bookdoll.blogspot.com/2012/09/feature-and-follow-friday-3_27.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this is the first time I heard of an ice cream social :)) But I like your photo.

      Thanks Jenny for the explanation :))

      New follower! My FF is http://mybookmusings.blogspot.com/2012/09/feature-follow-friday-04.html

      Delete
  2. Lollies is such a cute word! I wish we used it instead of candy. So cute..
    Anyway, great post ! :D It was enjoyable to read. C:
    I'm a new GFC follower ~
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  3. This IS a tough question. I used my dictionary.com app to help me (it stores the words you search for). :D Old follower here. My FFs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. :D Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never stop to look up a word either! I just want to read the story and see what's going to happen next without having to stop. Hope you have a great weekend :)

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely look up words even if I'm unsure about them, I generally just read the rest of the sentence, paragraph, etc and assume that what I think it means is right. lol I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol i like your answer... i usually try to use clues around the word if I don't know what it means, but sometimes it just irks me to the point that I can't concentrate on the story anymore, and I HAVE to look it up... *new follower*

    My FF

    Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your answer, thanks for sharing!

    New follower via GFC.

    Christina @ Ensconced in YA
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just Blog Hopping! New Follower! Stop by my F&F if you can! Thanks! My Friday Blog Hop
    Michelle @ Mom With A Kindle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lollies is adorable! I'm going to start saying that instead of candy. FYI...you are 'spot on' in regards to the jelly/jam/jell-o thingy. In my neck of the woods Prom is typically only for the Senior class (last year of school), unless it is specifically called Junior Prom then that would be for the Juniors (2nd to last year of school). Otherwise it is some other dumb name like Tolo (I don't know what the hell that is supposed to mean)or Sadie-Hawkins (??) and sometimes it is just the 'formal'. But we have dances for EVERYTHING...silly. Are you more confused now? 'Cuz that was what I was going for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just blogging by, have a great week-end.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/09/feature_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah, the dumb wife beater term I finally had to google it, as I had not clue, one author kept saying this guy was wearing jeans a a "wifebeater" I was like Huh? (i am from the USA by the way)
    Found out it was a white tank top. Well, why not just say that??? lol
    I also got stumped on some of your Aussie phrases when reading a book from an Australian author, but have a friend of the family who talks to us daily on Skype from Melbourne, and he would enlighten my curiosity of many things I would read. lol
    I know the feeling.
    As for the Jelly and Jam, here it is 2 different things, one is more mushed up and smooth, other is lumpy with more fruit in it (think its the Jelly that is more smooth)
    the candy one, funny, as Lollie Pops, and candy are 2 different things, Lollie pops, are hard candy on a stick, and candy is 1,000's of different kinds, hard, soft you name it, lol
    Also, no clue to an Ice cream Social, never heard of it, guess would be hanging out at the ice cream shop?? No clue, lol

    here is mine
    Follow Friday Hop

    New follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, I have no Idea where they came up with wifebeaters , As for Jelly and Jam we use both too - but they are made a bit different (don't ask me how ). I like your term for candy Lollies.

    As for prom- they used formal way back when and some where I have no idea when they changed it to prom- junior and senior.

    as for ice cream social- that was like a get together I think- pre dates my age LOL.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha great answer! Made me laugh :) I'm a new follower.

    Check out my FF

    ReplyDelete